A special “Geology Train” excursion will run on the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad this summer. Leaving Antonito, Colo. this 2011 special geology train will travel the 64-mile railroad to Chama, NM. A team of geologists on board will be there to interpret the various geologic points of interest.
Departing on June 26th, a special geology train will leave Antonito, Colorado and proceed along the spectacular geology en route to Chama, New Mexico. But simply experiencing the incredible overviews of the Rio Grande Rift, the eruptive evidence of the San Juan Volcanic field, the Precambrian core of the Tusas Mountains, recent glacial deposits, and snapshots of the Jurassic, will not be enough. The geology train will be making several stops at various rock formations and cuts along the right of way that will allow passengers to mingle and take photographs.
The opportunities are priceless:
• Join a cadre of distinguished Geologists for a truly extraordinary day on the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad!
• The railroad passes through one of the most unique, varied geologic areas in the US and it is the ONLY way to see all those sights.
• See metamorphic rock as old as that at the bottom of the Grand Canyon!
• The train will make a number of stops along the route to allow the Geologists to interpret the various Geologic points of interest!
• Lunch at Osier, Colorado is included in the ticket price!
• View and marvel at volcanoes, unusual rock formations, multiple volcanic depositions, tunnels and an untouched landscape.
• A mile by mile Geologic rail log will be provided to each participant.
• Ride the Historic C&TS RR and be prepared to “Get Rocked”!
A mile-by-mile geologic rail log will be provided to each participant, as will lunch during a stop at Osier, Colo., which is included in the ticket price. Prices are $150 for adults and $100 for students. Reservations can be made by calling 888-286-2737, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mountain Time.
cumbres toltec scenic railroad new mexico.
Publish Date: 02/26/2011 2:05
Idea #2: Travel on Board the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad in New Mexico. Whether you’re a long-time railfan or you’d like to experience scenic railroad travel for the first time, you’ll appreciate a ride on board the Cumbres …
Publish Date: 03/06/2011 16:35
The Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad is going through some very tough times and needs a hand to get back on its feet. The main cause of its current.
Publish Date: 01/04/2011 11:36