September “Enthusiasts’ Weekend” on the Western Maryland Scenic
The Western Maryland Scenic Railroad 2014 schedule includes plans to host its first “enthusiasts’ weekend” in late September. The event is part of the railroad’s 2014 operating schedule and follows a successful 25th anniversary celebration in 2013.
Scheduled for Sept. 27-28, the event will feature daytime trips to Frostburg in addition to shorter trips to Maryland Junction powered by a visiting 0-4-0 tank engine. Additional attractions include Amtrak’s exhibit train, which has officially placed Cumberland on its 2014 schedule. This will be the first time Amtrak’s exhibit train has visited Cumberland.
The railroad and the nonprofit Western Maryland Scenic Railroad Foundation are currently raising money for the restoration of recently acquired Western Maryland Railway business car No. 204. The Pullman car was delivered Jan. 17.
Depending on funding from donors and grants, the Foundation intends to restore and operate No. 204 on special excursions to Frostburg as early as 2015. Once rehabilitated, the car will be outfitted in a variety of ways: as a living history museum, as a historic space for educational and interpretive activities, and in additional ways to enhance the community and railroad preservation efforts, according to Media Coordinator Jody Shaw.
“(The Western Maryland Scenic Railroad) pursues this project to preserve and interpret Maryland’s railroad heritage, its role in regional economic development, and its educational and outreach agenda,” Shaw says.
Car 204 was originally built by Pullman in 1918 for Peter Winchester Rouss. It was named “Winchester” when delivered; Rouss later renamed it “West Point”. Car 204 was known to travel to the Rouss private camp in Adirondacks, NY from Winchester, VA. The car was typical for its day. It had an observation room, four bedrooms (including a larger master bedroom), a dining room, and at the front of the car, a kitchen, pantry, and crew quarters. On the back was a classic open platform–a back porch for watching the world fly by at 60 mph.
The Foundation website is currently soliciting donors to sponsor a window restoration on No. 204.
For more information on the railroad’s schedule and preservation efforts, go to www.movingfullsteamahead.com.
- Historic rail car returns to area, will be restored (times-news.com)
- Scenic railroad obtains 1949 steam locomotive (times-news.com)
- Md. Scenic Railroad Acquiring 2nd Steam Locomotive (baltimore.cbslocal.com)
- A Fun-Filled Day on the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad (redtri.com)