Flagg Coal No. 75 gets steamed up on Naugatuck Railroad

Look for Flagg Coal #75 on the Naugatuck Railroad, June 8-17

Hank the Tank returns to the Naugatuck Railroad!

“Hank the Tank Engine” will be the star attraction at this summer’s June 8 – 17 event, including Father’s Day Weekend! In addition to riding the train behind a real coal-fired steam engine, there will be story book readings, live music and fun activities for kids and families.

English: Flagg Coal 0-4-0T No.75 at Train Fest...

Flagg Coal 0-4-0T No.75 at Train Festival 2009 in Owosso Michian. This locomotive is owned by John and Barney Gramling of Ashely, Indiana. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Flagg Coal Co. 0-4-0T No. 75 will operate at the Railroad Museum of New England’s Naugatuck Railroad over the weekends of June 8-10 and 15-17.

The locomotive was built in 1930 by the Vulcan Iron Works of Wilkes Barre, Pa.  It is currently owned by John and Byron Gramling and has traveled around the the country each year offering steam train rides at railway museums and tourist railroads .

During the two weekends of steam operation on the Naugatuck, special displays and activities will be available for families. Fares are adults and seniors $20, children (3-12) $15, toddlers age 2 and under free.

The original Naugatuck Railroad was chartered in 1845, and opened in 1849 between Bridgeport and Winsted, adjacent to the Naugatuck River. Due to changing economic conditions over the years, there were several ownership changes until regular service north of Waterbury was discontinued in 1995. Around the same time, the Railroad Museum of New England was looking for a new home. The old Naugatuck Railroad name was restored by state charter and the first passenger trains began running again in 1996.

The Naugatuck Railroad offers fun and exciting train rides each season from April through December.

To get more scheduling information go to http://rmne.org/schedule/index.php.

Related Articles

Photographs of the Torrington, Connecticut, railroad station « Fresh

The Torrington, Connecticut, railroad station was built in 1898, as a stop on the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad (better known as the New Haven Railroad). The line was originally built as the Naugatuck Railroad,

Publish Date: 05/08/2012 11:23

http://doddcenter.wordpress.com/2012/05/08/torrington-connecticut-railroad-station-ca-1900/

Blog Archive » Naugatuck Railroad Station (1910) – Historic

The railroad came to Naugatuck in 1849 and by the turn-of-the-century the lines through town were owned by the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad. When the time came to design a new and larger railway station,

Publish Date: 12/24/2011 0:22

http://historicbuildingsct.com/?p=9901

Enhanced by Zemanta
This entry was posted in Railroading Events, Scenic Railroads, Steam Locomotives and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *